Last spring we built three raised beds and filled them with strawberry plants. This year, we have so enjoyed the “fruits of our labor.”
Reasons You Should Plant Your Own Strawberries:
1. Homegrown fresh strawberries are SOO delicious. The cardboardy ones at the grocery store cannot even compare to the scrumptious juicy sweetness of a real strawberry.
2. They are low maintenance! If you contain them in a raised bed, they will quickly send out runners and fill the entire bed. They cover it so completely, there is virtually no weeding.
3. Strawberry Shortcake
5. It’s cheaper than buying them in the store.
6. They are perennials. They will come back year after year. You just have to sit back and wait.
7. It is extremely satisfying to go out to your yard and come back with a bowl full of yummy fruit.
8. You can grow them organically. No pesticides!
9. Did I mention no weeding?
1. Plant in early spring in a spot that will receive plenty of sun.
2. Pinch off the runners during the first year. This will allow the roots to grow nice and strong.
3. Also pinch off the flowers to encourage strong plant growth. It’s tough to make yourself do this, but you’ll thank yourself later!
4. After the growing season, cut down the foliage to once inch and cover with 4 inches of straw. Remove next spring.
5. I recommend the June-bearing variety. We also got the Everbearing kind, but they didn’t do as well as the June ones and the harvest time was about the same.